I get it, mama! Really! Life with kiddos and work and managing your home is just so busy, and you need quick and simple (and budget friendly!) meals to feed your family. Every. single. night. And that’s why this article was born. These 15 simple 5 ingredient recipes will help you to get. dinner. done.
These 5 ingredient recipes are perfect for busy weeknights or for weekend evenings when you have a lot going on. Or they are great for any night when you just want a simple, tasty meal that won’t have you slaving in the kitchen.
Tip: Save the image above to Pinterest so that you can easily refer to this article with easy 5-ingredient recipes later!
Easy 5 Ingredient Recipes for Dinner
In the article are some of my favorite quick and easy to prepare 5 ingredient recipes. They really save time and effort (and money) in the kitchen.
Just as a quick side note, when I’m counting ingredients for these recipes, I don’t count the spices, because they aren’t main ingredients in the recipes and virtually everyone has them on hand. (All of the spices used in these recipes are common ones that pretty much everyone should have.)
Also, a couple of the recipes below are Instant Pot recipes. We just got one of these last year, and they are so convenient! They are really a great time saver. I love ours!
You can learn more about the model we got here, or click on the image below to learn more about the benefits of getting an Instant Pot.
I hope you enjoy these five ingredient recipes!
Check out these related articles:
- 15 Easy Chicken Crockpot Recipes
- 35+ Frugal Meals Your Family Will Love
- 65+ Fun Dinner Themes to Make Meal Planning Easier
- 15 Easy and Budget Friendly Dinners for Families
- 7 Best Grocery Money Saving Tips to Stretch Your Monthly Budget
15 Quick and Easy 5 Ingredient Recipes
These are some of my favorite simple 5 ingredient recipes (or sometimes even fewer than 5!). Enjoy these simple meals to help you get dinner on the table quicker, cheaper, and easier.
Sour Cream Enchiladas
1 can enchilada sauce (or substitute tomato sauce)
8 oz. sour cream
8 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
12 corn tortillas
1. Spray a 9 × 13 pan (or one slightly smaller) with
2. Place a tablespoon of sour cream and cheese in
the center of each tortilla.
3. Roll up each one and place in the pan.
4. Pour enchilada sauce over it all, and spread
remaining sour cream and cheese on top.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 minutes.
Pesto Pasta with Chicken
1 16 oz. package bow tie pasta
1 teaspoon cooking oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1/2 cup pesto sauce
1. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes (until al dente). Drain.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic until tender, and then stir in chicken. Cook until chicken is golden and cooked through, about 10 to 15 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, combine pasta, chicken, and pesto. Toss to coat evenly. Serve with your favorite vegetables.
Spaghetti with Bacon
1 16 oz. package spaghetti
1/4 cup oil
8 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup parsley
1. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water, and bring it to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the spaghetti, and return to a boil.
2. Cook the pasta, stirring occasionally, until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the bacon, and cook until the bacon has begun to shrink, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the garlic, and stir occasionally until the garlic has softened and the bacon is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
5. Toss the drained pasta with the bacon, oil, and parsley.
Barbecue Chicken Tostadas
8 tostada shells or 8 corn tortillas or small flour tortillas, brushed lightly with cooking oil and baked for 3-5 minutes per side, until crispy
3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce, divided
2 cups shredded cheese
Directions 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 2. Lay out the tostada shells (or baked tortillas) on two baking sheets. 3. Combine the shredded chicken and 1 cup of the barbecue sauce in a mixing bowl, and stir to coat. 4. Divide the chicken between the tostada shells and top with the cheese (about ¼ cup for each). 5. Bake for 6 or 7 minutes, until cheese is melted. 6. Remove from the oven, and drizzle with the remaining ½ cup barbecue sauce.
Easy Instant Pot Chili
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small white onion
- 1 15 oz. can chili beans
- 2 15 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- optional topping: shredded cheese
- 1 cup hot water
- Chop the the onion.
- Brown the ground beef with the onion in a large skillet, adding salt and pepper to taste. Drain the fat, and add the browned ground beef to the Instant Pot pressure cooker insert.
- Open and drain the can of chili beans and the 2 cans of red kidney beans. Open the can of diced tomatoes.
- Add to the Instant Pot the diced tomatoes, drained red kidney beans, chili powder, and hot water.
- Set the steam valve to: Sealing.
- Pressure Cook on Manual/High for 15 minutes.
- Use the release function: Natural or Quick.
- Serve the chili with shredded cheese sprinkled over, if desired.
Classic Bean and Cheese Burritos
- 1 can (16 oz) refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz)
- 1 package (1 oz) taco seasoning mix
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- Additional toppings as desired, such as salsa, sour cream, diced tomatoes, and shredded lettuce
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with cooking parchment paper or foil (or spray with nonstick cooking spray); set aside.
2. In medium bowl, mix the beans, cheese, and taco seasoning mix.
3. Scoop about 1/4 cup of the bean mixture onto each tortilla, just below the center. Fold the bottom edge of each tortilla up and over the filling. Fold sides in, overlapping to enclose filling. Roll up from the bottom of the tortilla.
4. Place the burritos seam-side down on the cookie sheet.
5. Bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until heated through. Serve with additional toppings listed above, as desired.
Spinach Alfredo Pasta
- 12 oz. spaghetti or fettuccine
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook to al dente, about 8 to 10 minutes.
2. Reserve about 1 cup of the pasta water in a measuring cup; set it aside. Drain pasta.
3. In a large saucepan or skillet, heat a splash of the pasta water over medium heat. Cook spinach leaves until just wilted and bright green; then remove to a bowl. Sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt, and set aside.
4. In the saucepan, add the milk, 1/4 cup of the pasta water, and the Parmesan cheese. Cook over low heat, stirring until a smooth sauce forms.
5. Add the pasta to the pan, and stir to coat. Add the butter, salt, and pepper, and stir until the butter melts. If necessary, add a little more pasta water to smooth out the sauce.
6. Add more salt and pepper, to taste.
Easy Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cubed
- 3-4 cups fresh broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Spray 6-quart Instant Pot® insert with cooking spray. Mix broth, rice, salt and pepper in insert.
- Stir in the chicken and broccoli. Secure the lid, and then set the pressure valve to SEALING. Select MANUAL; cook on high pressure 10 minutes. Select CANCEL. Set pressure valve to VENTING to quick-release pressure.
- Stir in cheese to combine. Serve.
Easy Chili Mac
- 2 cups macaroni
- 1 pound hamburger
- 2 small cans tomato soup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
1. Cook macaroni, about 7 to 9 minutes.
2. Brown meat in large saucepan, and drain fat.
3. Add chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well, and cook on medium heat about 5 minutes.
4. Add cooked macaroni and tomato soup. Heat thoroughly, stirring occasionally. Just before serving, add the grated cheese. Stir well.
5. Cover and heat until cheese melts.
Black Bean Quesadillas
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) black beans, drained
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 can corn, optional
- 1/3 cup sour cream, optional
1. Mash one can of beans. Mix in remaining can of beans and salsa and corn, if including.
2. Spread mixture evenly on 4 tortillas; top with cheese. Cover with remaining tortillas.
3. Heat skillet, and cook quesadillas 2 minutes. Flip, and cook for another minute or two.
4. Cut the quesadillas into wedges, and serve with salsa and sour cream on the side (if desired).
Teriyaki Chicken Thighs with Rice
- 1 pounds chicken thighs, sliced into chunks
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
1. In a large skillet or frying pan, brown the chicken thighs (takes about 7 to 8 minutes), and then flip. Brown the other side (for another 7 to 8 minutes), until no longer pink inside.
2. Add the soy sauce and brown sugar, stir well, and bring to a boil.
3. Cook, stirring often, until the sauce has reduced and evenly coats the chicken.
4. Serve with rice and your favorite vegetables.
Easy Pasta Carbonara
3 to 4 oz. bacon (1/4 of the package), or more if desired
2 cloves garlic
12 oz. spaghetti
3 large eggs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
pepper to taste
salt to taste
fresh parsley (optional), for garnish
1. Fill a large pot with water for the pasta, and season with salt. Place a lid on the pot and bring it up to a boil over high heat.
2. While waiting for the water to boil, cut the bacon into small pieces. Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat until it reaches desired crispness.
3. Remove the cooked bacon from the skillet, and then turn the heat down to low.
4. Mince two cloves of garlic, add them to the warm skillet, and sauté for about one minute or until fragrant and softened. Then turn off the heat.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, and a good amount of pepper.f
6. Once the water in the large pot is boiling, add the pasta, stir well, and continue to boil the pasta about 8 to 10 minutes, until cooked. Reserve one cup of the starchy pasta cooking water, and then drain the pasta.
7. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the skillet that was used to cook the bacon.
8. Add the drained pasta to the skillet, and then add the sauteed garlic to the skillet. Stir.
9. Pour the egg and Parmesan mixture over the hot pasta, and stir until a creamy sauce forms.
10. Add the remaining Parmesan, a little more pepper, and the bacon, and toss again. If the pasta becomes too thick or dry, add a little more of the reserved pasta water.
11. Taste the pasta and add a little more salt, Parmesan, or pepper if needed. Top with a pinch or two of roughly chopped fresh parsley leaves, if desired.
Ground Beef and Vegetable Tomato Soup
- 1 large (46 oz.) can tomato or vegetable (like V8) juice
- 2 packages (16 oz. each) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small (10.75 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook the vegetables according to package directions.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, brown the hamburger. When browned, drain the hamburger.
3. Add all ingredients to a large pot, and mix well.
4. Bring to a low boil, and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Serve with rolls, bread, or crackers.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 3 cups of shredded chicken
- 2 cups cooked broccoli
- 1 small can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- garlic powder and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
3. Pour ingredients into a 9×9 inch baking dish.’
4. Bake for 25 minutes, and then serve.
Easy Chicken Alfredo Pizza
- 1 pizza dough (12 to 14 inches), or make your own
- 1/4 cup alfredo sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cooked, cubed chicken
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Roll out dough to about 12 to 14 inches in diameter.
3. Top pizza with alfredo sauce, mozzarella cheese, and chicken.
4. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until crust starts to turn golden brown and cheese is melted.
Help with Meal Planning: Easy Recipes and So Much More!
If you want more help to make simple meals like these 5 ingredient recipes and want help to make meal planning quicker, easier, and less expensive, check out the Make It Easy Meal Planning Binder. It has everything you need to make meal planning a snap (with 60+ printable pages + 75 BONUS budget friendly recipes!), and you can get it now for a great price.
Want to Get Your Whole Home in Order?
If you are looking for simple solutions for your home to take you beyond meal planning and help you manage your whole home, check out the Make It Easy Complete Home Management Bundle.
It’s the perfect solution to help you overcome the overwhelm and take control of your home to make it a haven with a simple, systematic way to clean, declutter, and organize your home; tools to get simple, quick, and tasty meals on the table; and help to manage your money to finally stop the overspending, money fights, and money stress.
It contain three awesome home management resources for one great price!
Final Thoughts on 5 Ingredient Recipes
I hope you enjoyed this list of fun and easy 5 ingredient recipes. Those are some of my favorite easy 5 ingredient recipes for families. These easy 5 ingredient recipes are budget friendly, too, which is a huge plus in my book!
What are some of your favorite easy 5 ingredient recipes? What simple five ingredient recipes do you love and make again and again? Leave a comment below and let me know! I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas!